After all if they admit that Hitler had even ONE characteristic of an atheist then all atheists or neo-atheists will be brought into disrepute.
Even though atheism has no standards, no commandments, because there is no leader, no person risen from the dead, no revered example of virtue, no example to emulate, no Mother Theresa, [Madelyn Murray O'hair does not qualify] anyone but a crazy can see that what Hitler did was terribly evil. So yes, as an atheist, he must be explained away.
Therefore since you, Brian at one time went to church, then YOU TOO are a Christian, because you have the same characteristic that you use to rationalize that Hitler was.
A similar comparison cannot be made for Brian and Hitler except Hitler was an atheist and Brian claims to be an atheist.
Can you quote me a verse, even out of context as is normal for neo-atheists, where Yeshua recommends to his disciples that they are to go out and slaughter any racial group they believe is inferior, or unjust, or radical, or just because he didn't like them?
After all they believe in "freethinking" if it agrees with their "freethinking, and they believe in FREE speech as long as you are one of them. Others be stifled. Or simply be cast into atheistic hell.
In the book HITLER'S TABLE TALK, a book of Hitler's opinions collected by a close aide during the war years we see exactly what Hitler thought of Christianity. Some of the opinions are listed below.
- He called Christianity one of the great "scourges" of history and said to the Germans "Let us be the only people who are immunized against this disease." [Editor: Sounds rather like some atheists does it not?]
- He said that "through the peasantry we will be able to destroy Christianity."
- He blamed the Jews for inventing Christianity
- He condemned Christianity for opposing evolution [Hmmm. Ever heard that before?]
- He identified the Christian values of compassion and equality as being weakness
- Hitler's leading advisors, Goebbels, Himmler, Heydrich and Bormann were atheists who hated religion and sought to eradicate its influence in Germany
- Historian Richard Evans writes that "the Nazis regarded the churches as the strongest and toughest reservoirs of ideological opposition to the principles they believed in"
- After 1937, the policies of Hitler's government became increasingly anti-religious
- The Nazis stopped celebrating Christmas and the Hitler Youth recited a prayer thanking the Fuhrer rather than God for their blessings
- Clergy were regarded as troublemakers, ordered not to preach, and hundreds of them were imprisoned
- Many were simply murdered
- Churches were under constant Gestapo surveillance
- The Nazis closed religious schools, forced Christian organizations to disband, dismissed civil servants who were practising Christians, confiscated church property, and censored religious newspapers.
Now if after reading this, you still believe that Hitler was a Christian, there is no hope for you. If you reject what Hitler did as proof, his actions against religion, his negative comments against Christianity, what historians have said of him, then you have rejected evidence in favor of dogmatism and indoctrination.
-Charles Pedley, 2011