Moving to ...

Moved to Pressing For Truth In seeking truth, one does not find it by these immature and primitive methods. See RULES FOR COMMENTS (Right Sidebar)

Search This Blog

FrontPage Magazine » FrontPage

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Re: WashPost: Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

Note: The blog post below was sent to me by an agnostic friend. Like all atheistic agnostics I have met he belittles faith in God but at the same time asks us to believe ON FAITH any article he sends to me whether there is EVIDENCE OR NOT. Even the Washington Post lists it in its OPINION section. Opinions are not facts.



This is my response on the blog.               
Oh no. Here it comes again. (:-) 


[Note: This will make no sense to you unless you read the article above first.]


Number One Problem: Why do I have to believe this? First of all I see unjust attacks on Christians who may not be wise in what they say. Do I see Christians like Billy Graham, Franklin Graham, Charles Price, Brian Houston from Hillsong interviewed or mentioned?

Number Two Problem
: Do I see any references or proof of the author's statements? Or am I to accept what they say on faith? Bold statements are made but I see no evidence presented.

Number Three Problem
: Do the authors have a bias, reasonable or not? And do they recognize their bias?
If you look at what field they are considered "experts" in, it would tend to make you believe they have a bias against Christians especially the strawmen types that are easy to pick on.

Phrases like:"Is this knee-jerk dislike of atheists warranted? Not even close." are basically ad hominem attacks on Christians who perhaps may have made unwise statements but still it is an attack to say that something is a "knee-jerk reaction". Perhaps they just disagree with atheists. Not everyone that disagrees has knee-jerk reactions.

Is it possible the writing of the authors above could be another "knee-jerk reaction" because they are upset?
Bold statements like this are not accurate and no evidence is presented, just the author's opinions.


"These put-downs have had sticking power. Negative stereotypes of atheists are alive and well. Yet like all stereotypes, they aren't true"

Who says? Perhaps atheists are their own worst enemies.

If anything I would say that of all the atheists I have talked to mainly on the web, they all display an anger and mocking attitude toward Christians in particular and speak with glee when they feel they have scored a point against a Christian. Even Peter Hitchens, speaks about his brother in his book "Rage Against God" as being angry. I have seen it in a friend, Christoper H, and Richard Dawkins and the long-past Madelyn Murray Ohair who was the most bitter person I have ever seen!
I think this anger makes them say stupid things and they themselves as atheists are the cause of people being biased against them.

They also mention another myth:
The myth that intelligence equals wisdom. It does not. On the IQ scale the characteristics of a genius and an idiot are very similar. 


The best example I know of this would be the brilliant Howard Hughes. He was "an American industrialistaviatorengineerfilm


producerdirectorphilanthropist, and was


one of the wealthiest people in the world." 


Despite all of his brilliance and intelligence he ended up with an obsessive-compulsive disorder and became a recluse.  

I know many unintellectual people who have great wisdom, and lead very successful lives of helping others. [Sorry I cannot quote a study right now to prove it BUT remember that as a teacher I have met a VERY large number of people and since I am 67, this last statement I have learned from the best teacher, experience.]

So do I believe what the authors of the above article say? No.

Do I wonder why my friend BC sent it to me? No. It is because HE accepts it on faith. I want evidence and seeing none, I have to discount it.



I have a lot of trouble trying to determine why Brian cannot see that HE has faith in atheistic articles and other tenets of his religion like man-made climate change, and therefore presents no evidence just opinions.


But on the other hand, I must ALWAYS prove my beliefs to him. Seems like a rather unfair way of discussion does it not? 

Have a good!


A cartoon for your thoughts!   


-c












On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 12:23 AM, <noreply@washingtonpost.com> wrote:
E-mail
This page was sent to you by: 
Message from sender: "My perception of "Reality.

Why do Americans still dislike atheists?

By Gregory Pauland Phil Zuckerman
Long after blacks and Jews have made great strides, and even as homosexuals gain respect, acceptance and new rights, there is still a group that lots of Americans just don't like much: atheists. Those who don't believe in God are widely considered to be immoral, wicked and angry. They can't join the Boy Scouts. Atheist soldiers are rated potentially deficient when they do not score as sufficiently "spiritual" in military psychological evaluations. Surveys find that most Americans refuse or are reluctant to marry or vote for nontheists; in other words, nonbelievers are one minority still commonly denied in practical terms the right to assume office despite the constitutional ban on religious tests.

Do you love D.C.? Get the insider's guide to where to stay, what to do and where to eat. Go to www.washingtonpost.com/gog for your guide to D.C. now.
© 2010 The Washington Post Company | Privacy Policy

1 comment:

  1. When we get opinions mixed with facts, the facts disappear.

    Facts are NOT opinions but demonstrable concepts based on evidence.

    The internet is a great source of information and .....

    MIS-INFORMATION.

    Anyone can write anything, but if we believe it all we should have been born WITHOUT a brain. Like the appendix, it would be without function.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry about this but to prevent vicious little bots from posting nasty stuff, we need moderation of comments. Thanks for your understanding.